INNOGLULAM – Development of a state-of-the-art adhesive technology system for the production of glued laminated timber (glulam).
Duration: 1/4/20 – 30/9/22
This research has been co‐financed by the European Regional Development Fund of the European Union and Greek national funds through the Operational Program Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, under the call RESEARCH – CREATE – INNOVATE (project code: T1EDK-00651) read more
The research aims to develop a globally innovative adhesive technology system for glulam production, which will combine environmental friendliness, improved rheological, physicochemical, and mechanical properties as well as lower cost.
The project will be implemented with the partnership of two companies with complementary features and experience in the development of innovative technological applications.
NTL Chemical Consulting (Project Coordinator) specialized at adhesive technologies and technical support to the world wood industry specializing in the research and development of green adhesive technology systems.
EUROCO is engaged in the production of compound glulam while exhibiting export activity and excellent knowledge of the world wood industry.
The aim of the project is to develop an innovative adhesive technology system with a “green” character, capable of being placed under cold pressure “cold setting” to be used as a binder for the production of glulam.
The method for preparing an adhesive technology system comprises of:
- A low emission melamine-urea-formaldehyde (MUF) adhesive, wherein part of its solids or the same resin can be replaced by renewable and natural materials, and
- A special hardener for promoting the cold setting of this polymer.
The specific hardener to be developed will increase the speed of cold setting, thus reducing the production time of the final product (glulam).
The expected results of the project will show significant potential for:
• The development of a novel adhesive technology system for glulam that can be developed into a finished product with significant export prospects.
• Reduce the cost of adhesive systems, thus reducing the production cost of glulam products.
• Reduction of production time, thus increasing productivity and reducing unit costs in glulam industries.
• Improving the quality & environmental specifications of glulam products.
• The production of glulam products that can be used in new uses, such as for the protection of structures, monuments, and other building applications.